Friday 25 January 2013

Meet Nina D'Angelo




Today I’m talking with Nina D’Angelo. You may not have heard of her yet, but her first crime/thriller novel, Nowhere to Run, is coming out February 14thand once it does you will get to know her.

Tell us a little bit about yourself. What is a day in the life of Nina D’Angelo like?

At the moment, it’s very, very busy. When I’m not writing Nowhere to Hide (the second novel in the Stephanie Carovella series and the sequel to Nowhere to Run, I’m marketing Nowhere to Run. I also have a day job, which takes up a lot of my time.

Tell us about, Nowhere to Run.

Nowhere to Run is a crime/thriller.
A Dominatrix is murdered, her body positioned to show Dominance. An actress is found dead, in clear view of the Hollywood sign. The sole connection between both murders is the one woman, who swore she would never return to Los Angeles.

Stephanie Carovella walked away from it all - a high flying career, her friends and Los Angeles. When her best friend is murdered, she returns with the sole purpose of finding a killer.

Instead her arrival triggers a spate of murders, in which she is the common denominator.

Drawn into a deadly game of cat and mouse, Stephanie must race to find a serial killer, before he claims her as his own


Okay I can’t help myself. I have been a fan of the Smurf’s since 1980 when I got my first little figure. In your bio on your web site you said the first story you wrote was an 8 page one about the Smurf’s. What was the plot of that one?

I believe it was about smurfette and escaping Gargamel. I can’t remember the rest J

Back to your novel. What can you tell us about your main character, Stephanie Carovella?

Stephanie Carovella is a survivor. She has gone through everything you could imagine (and you will find this out in the novel) and is still standing. She’s tough. Some may say she is self absorbed and a little selfish when they first read her, but she isn’t. She will do anything to protect everyone she loves including putting herself in the path of danger. She’s vulnerable but has built a wall around herself to protect herself from getting hurt. She can be reckless sometimes but she never does anything without reason. She just wants to be loved for who she is – scars and all.

I know the mental side of my main character is based on me. Is Stephanie based on you or anyone else?

I think a lot of Stephanie is based on myself, but like you said I think we all do this. Stephanie has a lot of my idioms and many of her struggles have been my own. I like to think she is as tough as I am, is independent and takes the world head on.

Do you have a publisher or are you going the full on Indie route?

At this time I will be self publishing, but the hope is to get picked up by a publisher further down the track. I originally swore black and blue I would only go the traditional route, but as I’ve watched the Indie Publishing scheme take off, I have become more intrigued by it and decided it was the best route to take for now. I think, with Indie Publishing, you have more control of your novels – from the writing process to the editing, the formatting and the cover design. You also have more control of how much you sell the novel for and your royalties. But on the flip side it is a tougher. You don’t have a PR and marketing machine behind you, you have to do it all yourself and you need to get smart about it all.

How long did it take you to write your novel?

It took me 12 months to write Nowhere to run.

What drew you to this genre?

Crime has always fascinated me. I started reading True Crime at a young age and I also studied a semester of criminology at university. For a long time I imagined myself being the next Jackie Collins or romance author – or at least I did when I was 16. When I was 17, I discovered Patricia Cornwell and Anne Rice and then further down the track James Patterson. Something clicked with writing crime and thrillers. You have the opportunity to add twists and turns and tap into a darker side. I think you can explore so many avenues writing crimes and thrillers. Ultimately though, the genre just fitted.

Who has inspired you through your life and career? Writing and anything else

I’ve been inspired by a range of people. My grandfather always inspired me to be creative. He was very creative. He was an actor and loved singing. I also find James Patterson inspirational. He has complete control over everything he does – from the marketing and public relations to the editing and the book covers.


Is there any part of the writing or publishing journey that you are not happy with?

The writing process is wonderful. I love writing and I even love editing. Marketing and Promotional is tough though. It’s tiring because it is constant, but ultimately it is so worth it.


I know you probably just want to talk about Nowhere to Run, but on your Goodreads page you have a second novel, Nowhere to Hide, listed as hopefully coming out in August of 2013. Can you give us any glimpses into that novel?
I can. Nowhere to Hide will be the sequel to Nowhere to Run and the second novel in the Stephanie Carovella series. It will be grittier and darker than the first novel and will see Stephanie facing off against a copycat killer. Ultimately she will be drawn into his dark web and she will need to use everything she knows to defeat him before she becomes his next victim. In the background there will also be another killer lurking, one from Stephanie’s past who wants to claim her for his own.

In your bio on your website you talk about a novel you wrote for friends called, Live and Let Die…any plans on dusting it off and putting it out there?

Live and Let Die has already been pulled out of the archives and I’ve started playing around with it, but Nowhere to Hide comes first. I’m still trying to put together the main ideas for that novel and see where it takes me.

Now for some rapid fire questions. Just answer with the first thing that comes to mind.

Favorite movie?

Hitchcock’s Psycho.


Top 3 books people should read?

Harper Lee’s – To Kill a Mockingbird

Cormac Mccarthy’s All the Pretty Horses

Jane Austen – Pride and prejudice.

Dominating or submissive?

Dominating


Favorite book as a kid?

Favorite book as a kid was Charles Dickens Great Expectations

Favorite book now?

Right now I have hundreds of favorite books so to name one is hard. I’m going to have to think of one I read this year, which blew my mind and that would be Samantha Towle’s “The Mighty Storm”

You have a lot of quote on your website so…favorite writing quote?

The second thing you have to do to be a writer is to keep on writing. Don't listen to people who tell you that very few people get published and you won't be one of them. Don't listen to your friend who says you are better that Tolkien and don't have to try any more. Keep writing, keep faith in the idea that you have unique stories to tell, and tell them. I meet far too many people who are going to be writers 'someday.' When they are out of high school, when they've finished college, after the wedding, when the kids are older, after I retire . . . That is such a trap You will never have any more free time than you do right now. So, whether you are 12 or 70, you should sit down today and start being a writer if that is what you want to do. You might have to write on a notebook while your kids are playing on the swings or write in your car on your coffee break. That's okay. I think we've all 'been there, done that.' It all starts with the writing.”
- Robin Hobb


If you were going to a deserted island which 3 famous people (living or dead) would you want to be stuck there with you and why?

Alfred Hitchcock – the man was a genius – not just in his writing and directing but in everything he did. It’s why his work is still around today

James Patterson – I’d discuss marketing and PR ploys with him and storylines. Patterson can create twists like no one I’ve ever known.

Blake Shelton – I need music to the mix and his personality always makes me laugh because it’s so out there. The man does not have a filter.


What would I find in your refrigerator right now?

A lot of fruit and vegetables.


Day or night?

Night. I think better at night and writing is easier.

Mountains or beach?

Mountains. The crisp fresh air, and the feeling of peace draws me to it.


Pepsi or Coke?

Diet coke.

Loud night on the town or quiet night at home?

Depends on what the loud night is. If it’s a rock concert, I’m there. Otherwise I like the quiet night at home, plotting.

I’m a chef so I have to ask…what do you like to eat when you’re writing?

I’m not big on food when I’m writing but I drink galleons of coffee.


What do you do when no one is looking?

Sing. I don’t like singing in front of people, but when I’m home alone I turn the music up and belt out a tune or two.

Get to know Nina a little better
Web site: http://www.ninadangelo.com
Visit her on Goodreads or Nowhere to Run on Goodreads
Or check out her Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment