Sunday 3 February 2013

THE SURGEON by TESS GERRITSEN...My Review

I've always said that I am a HUGE fan of cop shows.  Sure when Medical Examiner Dr. Maura Isles (On the show Rizzoli & Isles based on Tess Gerritsen's characters) goes to a crime scene she is always in designer dresses and 5 inch heals, which I'm pretty sure no ME would ever where in a scene where there is blood and guts and brain matter, but the stories are usually good.

I'm way ahead in the series, but thought I would go back to the first book which I had skipped.  Though I really enjoyed it, the last quarter of chapters were amazingly intense pulling you along quickly but also making you want to flip ahead to see what happens, I wasn't as happy with this novel as I have been of her more recent novels.  In The Surgeon you only get to see Detective Jane Rizzoli with a few of the supporting cast and she seems different than the later novels.  I know characters develop and change, but it just felt different.  Maybe it was thinking the whole time that origionally she was not supposed to make it to the ending.

I loved the twists and turns and how the killer was always a few steps ahead.  And like I've said before, it's the ending that makes it or breaks it.  This one had a fantastic ending.

My rating is 4 out of 5 stars and I highly recommend it.

This book does have me worried though that perhaps I just shouldn't read books that get turned into television shows.  I love Kathy Reichs novels about Temperance Brennan and those novels spawned the show BONES, but the characters are so different and the supporting cast is completely different.  In the show RIZZOLI & ISLES you still have Korsak and Frost and Rizzoli's parents get divorced and so on.  A lot of the TV characters are different from the book characters but the names are still there.

The next novel I am reading is Jeff Lindsay's book Darkly Dreaming Dexter, the first in the series that inspired the TV show DEXTER.  I love the show, okay the most recent season kind of bombed for me, so I'm hoping to love the books.  I know that a lot of the characters are the same as the show, so we will have to see.

My favorite characters from the show..
Det. Frank Pembleton and Det. Tim Bayliss
At some point I want to get to Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon.  It inspired my favorite cop show of all time HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET.  I actually found a copy in a used book store and it sits beside my bed for a time when I can sit and read a lot without getting disturbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment